Vegetable-Tanned Leather is one of the oldest methods of making leather and has been used for thousands of years. It uses natural tannin found in barks, wood and other parts of plants to convert animal skin into leather.
This is the most environmentally friendly way to tan leather and the process is very lengthy, therefore expensive - but widely recognised as the most desirable for high quality products.
Vegetable-tanned leather will continue to evolve through time. It will respond to light, as well as the oils and moisture in your hands, which means your product will age beautifully as the colour darkens and the leather develops a unique patina through use.
All products made of vegetable tanned leather are unique: because they are the result of an artisan process, are created with unique materials and in time they absorb the traces of our experience over time.
Being natural products, the animal hides have actually small differences: a sign, a different shade that characterizes them.
Tannin plays a fundamental role within the tanning process. Besides stabilizing it, tannin imparts to the leather unique properties, able to withstand all subsequent processing stages.
In addition, items made of vegetable tanned leather are completely natural products, therefore safe even for people with particularly delicate skin or sensitive to allergies.
The vegetable Tanning has many benefits:
- No animal is killed for its skin. On the contrary, the raw hides used by the tanneries are the discarded by-products of the food industry producing meat for human consumption.
- Being tanned with natural tannins, a vegetable-tanned leather object can be easily disposed of at the end of its life, thanks to its chemical-biological characteristics.
- Many of the substances used during the tanning process are recovered, recycled and re-used in different fields. Hair removed from raw hides is transformed into agricultural fertilizer; sludge produced by the depuration plants is reused in the construction field to make bricks.
- Vegetable-tanned leather, does not contain any toxic substance such as azo-dyes, nickel, PCP or chrome VI
- It is the heir of an ancient and noble artisan tradition, carried out for centuries.
also the leather have warm colours, and an intense scent of wood.
Verso Collezioni promotes a sustainable economy, respecting local communities and natural resources.